October 19, 2023 Board Meeting Highlights

  • The agenda for the meeting was approved on motion by Craig Palmer and carried.
  • The Minutes of the September 20, 2023 board meeting were approved on motion by Rod Wendorff and carried.

Business Arising

  • O&M Report and AIM Project Update:

Cody shared a slideshow of pictures taken over the last month of repairs & maintenance and pipelining activities. The status reported on each project is as follows:

9 Mile & North – We started pipelining on October 12. We have crossed township road 70 and completed the spur line that runs parallel to the road. We are now installing 30” pipe heading south. Our goal is to have the project completed by December 31.

GPS – Nothing new to report for the GPS project.

New Dayton CPR Crossing – The CPKS application has been successfully submitted. We are now waiting to hear back from CPKS on the timeline.

8-2 – We have received the pipe for 8-2. We will start this project as soon as the 9 Mile project is completed. We hope to start by January 1, 2024.

Smith Estates – We are working with the engineer to finalize the design and complete plans for a spring installation.   

Maintenance – We have completed the repair on the new Cross Coulee line. It is unclear why there was another pipe break, but in consultation with our engineer, it appears to be caused by the pipe resting on the hard bedrock and possibly, because of a compromised or faulty pipe. We will also be installing an air relieve by the fence in the spring when we return to level the trench.

Cody and Jason meet with Alberta Transport because the culvert that crosses highway 4 by Craddock Reservoir is leaking in the ditch dividing the highways. Alberta Transportation is taking responsibility for the problem and will work to get a liner installed to prolong the culvert operation.  

We are also working with the County of Warner to replace the culverts that cross the County Road by Craddock and the seed cleaning plant. The arrangement is that we will provide the culverts and the County will complete the installation.

  • Irrican – John and Jason reported:

John and Jason reported on an Irrican Board meeting they attended on September 28. Irrican has approved proceeding with a battery project at the Raymond power plant. The project will cost $22.3M. This will be offset by an ITC of $6.6M. ATB has agreed to be the lender for the project. We anticipate the payback period will be 5 years. The project will involve installing 4 Telsa battery packs to store 15.4 MWs of power. The batteries have several ways to produce revenue for Irrican; most revenue will come from stabilizing the energy grid in our region.

The early payment deadline for 2023 invoices is October 31. The invoices from QuickBooks did not show the discount amount, which was confusing to Irrigators. Amanda has figured out how to modify the invoices for next year to show the discount amount.

  • Staffing:

The crew is working well and moving fast, but we may need to hire one more trench worker.

  • Snowpack Report / Water Supply Forecast / RID Diversion / DDIT:

The Board reviewed the most recent reservoir report from the government. Ridge reservoir has continued to fill and is at 54% full. St. Mary’s reservoir has remained at 2% full for the last 2 months. The total headworks is at 16% full. The SMRID reservoirs are 43% full.

The Board discussed the need for a strong snowpack to refill the reservoirs. They also discussed the deputy Minister of Agriculture’s letter which indicated meetings would be scheduled for this fall to work out water sharing agreements for the 2024 irrigating season.

  • Irrigating Alberta Inc. (“IAI”)– Jason reported:

Nothing to report.

  • Equipment

The new John Deere 210LG excavator has arrived. The crew is very happy with the excavator. It has a slightly smaller bucket than our similar excavators, but it has been working well.

New Business

  • Directors’ Items:

Craig brought forward a request from an irrigator to add an additional pivot to their infrastructure. The RID does not have any additional acres available at this time so the Board discussed using annual acres. It was determined that the RID needs to set clearer parameters for using annual acres. This item will be added to next months agenda.

John brought forward a concern from an irrigator about a ditch that needs to be cleaned. Cody has added the maintenance project to the list of spring work to be completed.

John brought forward concern over the gate and lighting at the shop. The Board asked Jason to look into an automatic gate and additional lighting around the yard to deter theft.

  • Water Sharing Agreements:

The Board reviewed the water sharing agreements that were in place for the 2001 and 2002 irrigation season in preparation for discussions with the GOA and other districts about next year’s irrigation season.

  • Raymond Rotary Club – Green Strip Park:

The Raymond Rotary Club is creating a natural playground on the Raymond Green Strip. The Green Strip use to be the Raymond main canal and was owned by the RID. When the canal was re-routed, the Green Strip section was filled in and donated to the Town of Raymond. The Rotary Club purchased some scrap pieces of 30” PVC pipe for tunnels for the playground from the RID for $1,000. The RID also provided some large rocks for the project. The Rotary has invited the RID to donate the $1,000 back to the Rotary for the project.

On motion made by John McKee and carried, the RID Board approves a donation of $1,000 to the Raymond Rotary Club for the natural playground on the Raymond Green Strip.

  • Next Meeting Date

The next meeting is set for November 23, 2023.

Motion to adjourn – There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 12:50 pm on motion by Craig Palmer.

This entry was posted in Board Meeting Highlights. Bookmark the permalink.