March 20, 2024 Board Meeting Highlights
  1. The agenda for the meeting was approved on motion by Craig Palmer and carried.


  1. The Minutes of the February 21, 2024 board meeting were approved on motion by Rod Wendorff and carried.


Business Arising


  1. O&M Report and AIM Project Update:


Cody shared a slideshow of pictures taken over the last month of repairs & maintenance and pipelining activities. The status reported on each project is as follows:


9 Mile & North – Pipe and fittings for phase 4 will be ordered right away.


Gravity Pressure Pipeline System (“GPS”) (AIM Project) – Darin Wilde is adding mainline to the GPS modelling. We hope to have the model ready for peer review by early summer.


New Dayton CPR Crossing (IRP 2393) – An agreement with CPKC has now been signed! The next step will be a construction startup meeting, which will be arranged by CPKC. They are aware installation needs to happen before water starts up or after water is shut off.     


8-2 (Internally Funded Project) – We will finish the bulk of the pipelining by March 31. Unfortunately, some key fittings will not be available until the beginning of April. This will delay completion until the 2nd week of April.  


Smith Estates (Owner Funded) – A landowner meeting is scheduled for April 11, 2024 at 7:00pm at the RID office. The design and cost to each acreage owner will be presented at the meeting.


Chin Chute Rehabilitation (IRP 2392) – Nothing new to report.


  1. Snowpack Report / Water Supply Forecast:


The Board reviewed the most recent reservoir report and snow pack report from the government. The headworks storage has increased to 31% compared to 29% last month.


  1. Irrican Update:


Nothing to report.


  1. RID financial –Jason reported:


The two irrigators that were facing rate enforcement have made sufficient payment to take them out of rate enforcement. One of the irrigators has minimum acres and wants to sell their acres back to the district. There are still a few HPA users that have outstanding invoices. We will send out a final notice and if arrangements are not made, we will cap their risers for the 2024 season.



  1. GOA/WaterSmart/License Holder Meetings – Update:


Jason reported that MOU’s are being draft. The GOA’s goal is to have the MOU’s signed by April 15. As soon as the draft MOU for the Southern Tributaries is received, Jason will forward it onto the Board for their review and comments.



  1. AGM – March 21, 2024:


The Board reviewed the seminar and AGM agendas and details. The building is ready, the dinner is lined up, the speakers are confirmed, and the door prizes have been collected.


New Business


  1. Directors’ Items:


The Board discussed if the RID should issue any annual agreements for the 2024 season. The discussion resulted in the decision to continue with the existing annual agreements as the majority of them are on the Etizkom Coulee and they use the spill from the Stirling drain. New annual agreements will not be considered because of the water situation.


The Board also discussed yard water use in 2024. It was agreed that an approach similar to the one taken in 2001 should be used for 2024. HPA and yard water use will be limited to 50% of their normal consumption for 2024.


  1. Audit Financial Statement Exit Meeting – Patrick Treadwill from MWG joined the meeting:


Patrick reviewed the financial statements and presented the Board with a clean audit report.


On motion made by Craig Palmer and carried, the RID Board approved the 2023 Audited Financial Statements.


  1. IRP 3 Year Plan – 9 Mile & North Phase 4 Discussion:


Jason presented the 9 Mile & North Phase 4 plan to the Board. 


Jason will obtain an updated project cost from the engineer and present it to the Board and then submit it to Irrigation Council. 


  1. Sale of Permant Irrigation Acres



  1. Annual Agreement Requests:


The district received the following annual agreement requests (same as in the prior year):


    • 380 acres on 7-6-16-W4
    • 100 acres on SE 17-6-17-W4
    • 50 acres on NW 17-6-17-W4
    • 50 acres on NE 17-6-17-W4


On motion made by Craig Palmer, and carried, the RID Board approves annual agreements for 380 acres on 7-6-16-W4, 100 acres on SE 17-6-17-W4, 50 acres on NW 17-6-17-W4, & 50 acres on NE 17-6-17-W4.


  1. Next Meeting Date


The next meeting is set for April 17, 2024.


Motion to adjourn – There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 12:35 pm on motion by Craig Palmer.