October 26, 2016 RID board minute highlights

Minutes of the meeting of the Board of Directors of the Raymond Irrigation District held Wednesday October 26, 2016 commencing at 9:00 AM in the RID Board Room.

Attending: Byron Wilde Chairman, John McKee Vice Chairman, Craig Palmer Director, Gordon ZoBell, General Manager and recording clerk, Mark Jensen Operations Manager and Kelvin Kado, Office Manager as required.



IRP Project Update given by Mark Jensen

IRP 2321 W#5 phase #5 – Meyer has received an estimate for his line. Bullock Brother delivery to the N1/2-SW-34-6-21-W4 was discussed. The board approved  allowing the RID crew to install a short buried pipeline to the parcel if Bullocks will purchase the pipe. Approved on motion by Craig Palmer and carried.

RID Three Year plan – first draft – The draft was presented to the board by the manager.

Maintenance report – Mark Jensen showed the board a slide presentation of work completed under the district’s maintenance and the IRP program over the past month.

Irrican Power – by Kelvin Kado – I am working with Joyce to get info ready for the Auditors completed by November 30, 2016. This is our lowest revenue year in the history of the plants.

RID financial – by Kelvin Kado – Discount deadline is coming quickly and payments have been coming in. I do anticipate that we should have 75% of our assessments paid by the end of October. Registrations have been sent in and rooms booked for AIPA conference in Calgary

Expansion Plebiscite in the RID – Len Ring has nothing to report this month.

RID Return Flows – It was noted that return flows were less than the 2015 season.

Roofing Quote – The insurance company has sent a cheque to the RID made out to the RID and classic tile and roofing. The work will be completed soon.

Main Canal Advisory committee – C Palmer and G ZoBell met with T Helwig from SMRID on October 13, 2016 to inspect all main canal bridges within the RID. SMRID is prepared to move forward with bridge maintenance on the bridge down stream of drops 4,5&6 power plant. The main canal will pay ½ of the costs. The total repairs are approximately $12,000. Reluctantly and seeing no other option here, the RID board approved the expenditure with the RID paying ½ of the maintenance costs to the bridge. On motion by John McKee.

Directors Items – There were no directors items

Wilde brothers – (R/R circle) water delivery concerns in SE-14-6-21-W4. Manager G ZoBell noted that Wilde Brothers had installed a pivot on the noted ¼ recently. They had hoped that there would be enough water in the pipeline that delivers water to both the NE and SE-14-6-21-W4 for two pivots. It has not been able to supply enough water, and Wilde’s are looking to remedy the problem. Darin Wilde entered the meeting at 10:00 AM and he and the board discussed possible options to help eliminate the delivery concern. It was noted that the original design for the two quarters was for 1200 gpm and that Wilde’s have towed a pivot between the two quarters. The delivery comes from Welling #2 pipeline that has been in place since 1986. Darin Wilde was asked to review the welling #2 design. It was noted that there has been changes to some deliveries since its installation and the dynamics of the line have changed. Perhaps the subline leading from the main W2 line could be upsized without causing problems to other users. Darin will report back in a future meeting after he has studied the problem.

Stirling wind project – John McKee attended an open house recently that noted 46 wind turbines will be installed northeast of the village of Stirling within the near future.

Henry Proc flooding concerns – Gordon noted that Henry Proc had met with him recently regarding Henry’s neighbors perceived inefficient use of water. After hearing of the concern the board requested the manager to send a letter to Proc’s neighbors outlining the proper care of their irrigation water and that if improper use is detected the district can lock their turn out deliveries.

Application to transfer irrigation acres – section 26 of ID Act – 15 acres From: – NE-18-6-20-W4 parcel #10144 customer #1328 – NW-29-6-20-W4 parcel #10456 customer #1118. This application was approved by the board on motion by Craig Palmer.

Household purposes agreement – Tim Mandel – 26-6-21-W4 – Linc # 0018 607 218 – This application was approved by the board on motion by Craig Palmer.

Household purposes agreement – Justin and Cara Weiss 34-5-21-W4 LSD 16 – This application was approved by the board on motion by Byron Wilde.

Town of Raymond – informative only – By-law 1027-16 – land use amendment – south of Good Samaritans, south of gravel road. This was noted by the board.

AIPA – report from Directors Meeting September 26 – BW and GZ – Byron noted that the MLA tour held this past summer was reasonably attended by NDP MLA’s and that it was a successful event. Byron also noted that the process to appoint Irrigation Council members has changed and that any citizen of the Province could be nominated for a position on council and that a special committee will make the appointments. There are 3 retiring members of council that will be replaced. Byron also noted that a motion was defeated that questioned whether AIPA directors had the right to approve certain budget issues without first meeting with their respective boards. The Public relations firm that has been assisting AIPA for the past several years will not have its contract renewed. The AIPA directors feel they can step up and do more on their own. The AIPA budget for 2017 was approved at 30 cents per acre. John Peters gave an excellent presentation to the AIPA regarding the process of intervention regarding utilities to the EUB.

Hancock R/W investigation – Cal Hancock is in the hospital and Gordon will be talking the Friesen who has been renting Hancock’s land to determine what the status is of the RID R/W in Hancock’s and of who is using it.

Next meeting date – Thursday November 24, 2016 – commencing g at 9:00 AM at the RID board room.

Motion to adjourn and time meeting ended. – There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 2:25 PM on motion by Byron Wilde.





This entry was posted in Board Meeting Highlights. Bookmark the permalink.